What Summer Blockbuster are you most exited about?

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Femme Fatale Album Review



Till the world ends - Love the darker tone to this song. And the "oh's" that make up almost the entirety of the chorus is overly simplistic but also catchy as hell (Britney in a nutshell?). It comes dangerously close to sounding like kesha (who wrote it) but britbrits producers make it sound "big" enough to not warrant that comparison in the end.
Favorite Lyric: "If you want this good shit. Sicker than the remix. Baby let me blow your mind tonight"
4/5

Hold it against me - Fast, dark, rough around the edges. Dub step. Sexual innuendo. LOVE THIS SONG.
5/5

Inside out - mid tempo sucker that is SOOOOOOOO addicting. It feels like the pop equivalent to Charlie sheen WINNING! It’s coke. When she belts "SO COME ON!" out of nowhere it really took me by surprise. LOVE IT! Think I may prefer a faster paced remix down the road though.
Favorite lyric: "So come on, won’t you give me something to remember, baby shut your mouth and turn me inside out."
4/5

I I I wanna go go go - I hate to say "classic Britney" because I’m not sure what that means and if it's even a compliment. But this song is a really good time. It's quick, fast and really fun and catchy. It's also the most traditional song on this album.
Favorite Lyric: "Shame on meeeee, to need releaseeee!"
4/5

How I Roll - This is some straight up next level shit. There are no words. It's too bizarre and eccentric to be a single, but man this is the stand out best song of the album by a long shot. It's erratic, bizarre, weird, kooky and strange in ALL THE RIGHT WAYS. The only thing I could even think to compare it to would be KYLIE's "nu-di-ty" (oh hey bloodshy and avant, same producers!)
5/5

Drop Dead (Beautiful) - Veers a little TOO MUCH into hip hop territory for my own personal taste, however "in the zone" era fans will eat this shit up. I thought that was britbrit rapping in it for a sec, only to realize it's some unknown chick named SABI who sounds....EXACTLY like Britney. I think they should have just either grown balls and let brit do the rap and OWN it, or cut it out and taken the song in a different direction. I LOVE the chorus, but not too hot on the verses.
2/5


Seal it With a Kiss –‘filler’ comes to mind. The only thing that saves it is its dirty "80's" tiffany or Debbie Gibson vibe this sucker has going on.
2/5

Big Fat Bass - Will.I.Am did this sucker and you can tell. This isn't a problem though. It sounds like one of the more progressive black eyed peas tracks they have out there. Very simple and repetitive. As a fully structured song it doesn’t really hold up and comes off more as a transitional piece of music to get from one song to another but it's catchy and fun.
3/5

Trouble for Me - Another kooky and eccentric song, this time with a "rocker" edge. Reminds me of "iii wanna go go go" in that it's a very catchy song front to back and very "typical" Britney. What makes this stand out is the sharp jabs into experimental territory as far as the production is concerned.
Favorite Lyric: " Cheers, cheers, tip your glass!"
4/5

Trip to your Heart - wow. Ok...um. This is a Lisa frank trapper keeper meets the matrix meets an 80's Saturday morning cartoon theme song. Its sooooooooo cheesy and sooooooo sweet and soooooooooo beyond overproduced. I EFFING LOVE IT! I love it the way I love XANADU. I love it the way I love a good tranny show. It's obnoxious in all the right ways and frankly daring in it’s "in your face" attitude towards Britney’s critics (aka the world) who say she's an empty soulless vessel. Well, this song lives up to that stereotype, and like a flip of the bird she goes SO FAR BEYOND her own shortcomings. It's like she owns it.
5/5

Gasoline - Best Britney vocals since "I was born to make you happy." but make no mistake, this is darker. The chorus is spooky, almost downright scary. She also pulls a ROBYN and has a somewhat cheerful sound to her as she sings creepy things things like "your setting me on fire, your setting me on fire!" after talking about striking a match and pouring the gasoline.
4/5

Criminal - Pan flute. Slow jam. Great song that I see why they left for the albums closing. It does not jell with the rest of the album AT ALL. it sounds like Madonna (mind you it "sounds" like Madonna in style and tone only, not like one of her actual SONG, like "Born this Way") Personal lyrics (though I don't see how personal they can be, there are 35 songwriters credited to this album and Britney isn't one of them.) But in its own right it's really good. I guess I’ll just have to let it grow on me a bit more before I make up my final decision on this one.
Favorite lyric: "Mama I’m in love with a criminal. And this type of love isn't rational, it's physical. Mama I will be all right please don’t' cry. I will be all right."
3/5

Bottom line: This is her best album ever. It is better than anything else on the music scene right now. It definitely stands on its own and has nothing to even be compared to (so don’t even THINK about bringing gaga up.) It’s some of the most progressive, forward thinking dance music I’ve heard since…..well since ROBYN’s “Body Talk” album last year. But before that…..I can’t think of a time. Ok I’ll give in and throw gaga a shout out. Remember how “Fame Monster” sounded just like “The Fame” only bigger and more epic? Well you simply couldn’t compare this CD sonically to too much of her past efforts. It’s that much of a home run. However at this point Britney is more of a brand than a human being, and much like the "saw" film franchise this thing is "review proof." I don't think anyone's out there waiting to hear positive word of mouth before picking this up. but if there ARE, well.....go pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment